Tuesday 25 March 2014

John Galliano Scarves

Floral and Newsprint Silk Scarf
 On the TK Maxx website, I've come across scarves designed by John Galliano that include a design method I'm fond of: layering text and images. My reaction to this style is how I could apply it to my focus of feminism. I could use old and new articles talking about the development of feminism with a layer of iconic images over the top. I could also include prints and designs of some of my samples, including scans of my knitting (creating a texture). This method could obscure and portray all my thoughts and research onto one piece, also representing the achievements women have made towards equality. I also want to show the stereotypes of women and what they are expected of, and also what is the 'ideal' women?


Female scarves tend to have a feminine style to it (typically flowers). I could keep to the feminine theme, so at first glance you would see something like a floral print but up close is something unexpected (like the newsprint that is disguised by the flowers).

I could use an already made scarf and decorate it like Orly Cogan, and add objects similar to Caren Garfen's designs. Or I could knit a scarf and embroidery designs.
Newspaper Print Silk Scarf














The shape of the scarf when it is put on a body obscures the design making it unclear. The design would make people search through the scarf to try and understand it.

This scarf includes a floral design like the other one, but includes elements of lace on top of the newsprint.

No comments:

Post a Comment