Saturday 10 August 2013

Hand Painted = Personal

Whilst looking though a book of artists in fashion, I came across a hand painted coat by Nina Vivian Huryn. The coat is called 'Water Lilies, Fish and Sleeping Skeleton',1989, with the design hand painted on to silk.

"To Huryn, skeletons represent humans in their most elemental form. On this jacket, they seem to occupy a dreamlike landscape, resting sinuously underwater alongside the water lilies."

I believe that hand painting is a very personal method to use to portray the artists individual style. This is because time, thought and effort is put into the piece.


The coat doesn't fit my title of how fashion and costume portrays personality, individuality and roles perfectly, but does show the artists thoughts towards humans, almost portraying her personality. What influenced her to think like this? Why did she want to create something quite grim yet peaceful? Why did she use coppery colours?

I tried to do some hand painting myself off a section of her jacket. It doesn't show the same effect as I used acrylic on poly-cotton, whereas she painted on silk and probably with proper fabric paints. Hers is rather metallic showing a strong use of light and dark, and also representing the reflectiveness of the water. I tried to capture a similar tone to hers by using water to wash the colour out in places.

I'm going to try out some more hand painting later and also try and incorporate someone's or my own personality, individuality or role.

No comments:

Post a Comment