Tuesday 27 August 2013

Methods on How Goth's Dress

My friend used to dress in Gothic clothes when she was a teenager. The style for her was influenced by her taste in music and friends. Even though she is still into the same music, her dress sense has changed now that she is an adult, and has become more casual - which suggests that age can effect the way someone dresses.

She wore mostly black, which is the stereotypical colour for a Goth to wear. However, she wore block colours with her outfits, and was usually colour coordinated.

She also wore accessories such as stud belts, crucifix necklaces and big black boots.

This full dress is completely black. It's not very casual, so she would of worn it on special occasions or going out. It is made of lace and velvet which are girly materials, however the colour black makes it anti-girly and more dark. This shows that being a female Goth, you still want to be feminine but not happy-girly by wearing  a rainbow colours all mixed together - even though there is an exception of wearing one colour with the black.


                           
              
 There is also usually a 'death' relation to the design of Goth clothing. For instance, this dress my friend is wearing includes skulls, with a black and white colour scheme. The skull looks broken and full of spider webs, suggesting more Gothic stereotypes of creepiness.


I tried out some hand painting of the skull with acrylic paint.


I then decided to paint it on an old dress, which I had found in a charity shop and adjusted slightly about a year ago (the adjusting failed so I didn't mind painting on it).


I decided to try and make it a bit personal by having the swirls make out the movement of water and also create a swan swimming. This is personal to me as I have recently visited many lakes for my art project.

I really like the Goth style, and I'll probably look more into the subject, as the method of dressing as a Goth is amazing; a range of materials, block colours and busy designs incorporating skulls and flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment