Monday 22 July 2013

Creating Designs

After my three lessons of drawing plant life in different media's and views, my next stage was to create possible designs that could be developed into prints.

Plants from negative space studies

I decided to create traditional print designs first of just repeating a group of flowers by flipping them and making them stand out as individuals. Very simple.


However, I then decided to try out a more confusing style by fitting the flowers together, making it difficult for the viewer to make sense of it. 

Pansies from ink study

I much liked this design, and decided to explore it further by adding colour and tone.

I looked at both the natural colours of the pansies and the unnatural colours, to see which one suits the design I've created best. I like them both as the natural colour scheme gives the appearance of how the pansies are close together and that there isn't anything peculiar about them (when there is - fooling the eye), whereas the unnatural one fits the oddness about the design.


I also tried simplifying the design slightly by using block colours on the flowers showing different tones.


I could do a string print to capture the line and a stencil print to try and get the block colours from the simplified design.

No comments:

Post a Comment