Tuesday 16 July 2013

Floral Drawings: Lesson 1


We studied flowers and leaves in detail using pen and making fine lines, not including any tones. By doing this we were able to focus on the structure and line of the natural forms, which were shown to have their own personal characteristics.
 It was a very new way of drawing for me as I typically like to show a lot of tone in my drawings, but also by doing this technique I am able to show movement through mark making.

We were basing our drawings off a sheet we were given of straight-on sketches of flower heads. Even though my sketches are on the plant life from other angles, I followed how they had used a clear line to distinguish each petal and the flower shape as a whole.
I found it quite interesting drawing the daisy because of its full head of petals,  textured centre, and small jagged leaves that contrast against the smooth petals.

If I was to develop any of these sketches any further into a print I would probably either simplify them into string print, or I would use mono printing. String printing would help me achieve the unique shapes of the petals, but the flower would probably need to be enlarged if I want to get the jagged leaves. Mono printing on the other hand, would be best if I want the more finer detail, but the print wouldn't be so bold.


I could possibly overlap my drawings like

Mary Harper's furnishing prints for Edinburgh Weavers, and then use some sort of block coloured printing technique like silk screen to overlap colours and flowers. 
                    

No comments:

Post a Comment